Mainstreaming the Bioeconomy is the current sub-theme of the broader ENRD thematic work on Greening the Rural Economy. The overall objective is to encourage the development of sustainable bioeconomy value chains in rural areas in order to promote economic growth and employment whilst preserving eco-systems.
In this respect, the main activities of the thematic group are as follows:
- Explore national and regional bioeconomy strategies;
- Investigate existing relevant initiatives in EU Member States;
- Explore opportunities for the development of bio-based business models in rural areas;
- Promote networking practitioners dealing with the topic;
- Formulate recommendations on how to support the development of sustainable bioeconomy under the EU’s Rural Development policy.
Since 2018, Bioeconomy Cluster is a member of this thematic group.